Persuasion: Fen Garlan

Novice
PC: Larissa Saighan

Re: Persuasion: Fen Garlan

Postby Jenny » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:17 pm

Final Exam
The classroom had been cleared of all but two chairs and a single desk. Mirin relaxed in one of these chairs, her legs crossed elegantly under her woolen blue dress. She wrote notes as the student sitting across the table watched nervously. After a few tense seconds, Mirin finally spoke.

"Good job," she said, neutrally. "You will receive your grade by tomorrow. You may leave now. Please send the next student in."

The student hurried out. Soon, Fen Garlan stepped in. Mirin handed over a folded piece of paper with the prompt. "You have five minutes to think before we begin," she said. "Starting now." She looked at the candle, its wick marked to show the time, and waited patiently for her student to speak.

((OOC: I sent you a PM with the prompt that is written on the paper. Your grade will be determined by your use of concepts described in class. Remember that the exam is not about your knowledge of the scenario, but of your understanding of the concepts learned in class. Good luck!))

Inactive Member
PC: Prewtez d'Grayson
SC: Fen Garlan

Postby Prew » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:01 am

Taking the seat in front of the instructor, Fen unfolded the piece of paper she handed him and read the prompt:

You are a farmer. Your old workhorse recently died. Your neighbor has an extra horse. Your goal is to persuade him (or his wife) to lend you the use of his horse. You have no money, but you have two young and healthy sons. Your neighbor lives alone with his wife. Please select one of the two to approach.

As he mulled it over in his mind he realized there was some information the prompt did not contain, information that could affect just how he would answer.

“Mirin Aes Sedai, I fear I must make an assumption here in order to answer your prompt correctly. If my sons are not just young and healthy but also of an age to assist in the work on the farm I can pursue one possible strategy. Assuming also, since the man with the horse is my neighbor, that he also is a farmer. If both of these are the case, then I can see where the concepts of reciprocity and liking both come into play. I would then approach the man, a farmer like myself so we would be alike in that way, and offer to let my sons help him with his harvest in exchange for my use of the horse. I would compliment him on his successful harvest and point out that extra hands would be helpful in bringing in such a bounty! Should he balk at my offer, I would attempt to show him that such a bargain would be in the best interests of both our farms as he would have workers to help him while I would have a horse to replace the one that died.

Let us assume further, for the sake of this lesson, that the farmer still would not see reason. I would then approach his wife, explaining that I realize she is the one with common sense, something I have always admired in her, and lay out the same offer to her. I would be sure to point out that, with the help of my sons, her husband would need do much less work, giving him more time for other things as well as protecting his health.

I believe that my answer touches on many of the concepts you have so ably taught us. Reciprocity, likeness, sincere compliments, persistence, remaining calm, perhaps even an appeal to emotion, particularly pride, I believe are all contained in my response. And, like Abramlin den Colm from your own example, I believe changing my audience if I am not successful with the farmer was also a concept stressed.”

Fen put down the paper and awaited her response.

OOC: As a long time teacher I applaud your use of a rubric! :lol:
Death comes for us all, we can only choose how to face it when it comes.

the Aiel

Novice

Postby Jenny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:59 am

Mirin's face remained smooth, but she felt pleased. A hint of a smile touched her thin lips. On her parchment, she wrote: Approaches the man because he is more 'like' the man, compliments on a good harvest, offers an equally beneficial exchange. Yes, Fen Garlan seemed to be doing well. However...

"Good job," she said. "I am glad that you thought of switching your audience, but please keep in mind that the prompt asks you to select one of two targets. Here is one more prompt. You have five minutes." She glanced again at the candle to keep track of time.

((OOC: I've sent another PM with the last prompt, and then you'll be done! :D ))

Inactive Member
PC: Prewtez d'Grayson
SC: Fen Garlan

Postby Prew » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:46 am

As he read the prompt a smile crossed Fen’s face; not a farmer this time but a queen’s advisor! While other children might have fantasized about becoming Hunters of the Horn, mighty warriors, or even nobility, Fen’s dreams had always been about being the power behind the throne. He knew that physically he would never make a warrior nor would he be brave enough to seek adventure. But his intelligence, quick wits, and deviousness were perfect for the role of councilor to a queen.

“Mirin Sedai,” he began, “I would choose the queen herself as the target to persuade. I choose her for several reasons: first, as a longtime advisor I am sure I have her trust. If she did not trust my advice, I doubt I would have remained in the position for so long. Second, my authority; again, as an advisor for the past decade the queen would obviously see me as an authority on such matters of the state. If she were, say, the Queen of Andor, it would be easier, since she would need not sacrifice power to her new husband. And, of course, there is likeness as both the queen and myself are part of the ruling body of the country and both of us should have in mind that which is best for the nation itself.

“I would also seek to appeal to her emotions. First, I would attempt to convince her that, as queen, her duty is to her people, and that would benefit from such an alliance. If her sense of duty was not enough I could also appeal to her emotions as a mother, her desire to protect her daughter. As I understand it, most parents would be willing to make great sacrifices for their children’s sake. And, as a mature woman, the queen would be in a better position to handle such a union and ensure that her country did not suffer from the alliance. I know not from the prompt the daughter’s feelings about the marriage. If she wished it for herself, that might make it a bit more difficult to convince her mother, but I feel my reasoning is strong in this matter regardless.”
Death comes for us all, we can only choose how to face it when it comes.

the Aiel

Novice

Postby Jenny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:18 pm

Mirin nodded. "Good," she said. "You will receive your grade by tomorrow, Fen. You may leave now. Please send the next student in."

The next day, a note arrived for Fen.

Congratulations, Fen Garlan. You have completed the Persuasion course and are awarded a High Pass. It has been a pleasure being your teacher and I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Mirin Ronaile, Aes Sedai

Return to “Persuasion”