Red Head of Ajah Male
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Jesinne Molari
QC: Finn

Moments Lost, Though Time Remains [Dax Solo]

Postby Sunny » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:46 am

Dax

A palm brushed over Dax’s face and fingers combed through his hair. He flinched away from the sharp pain that blossomed when the touch grazed a certain place on the side of his head. “Shhh, shhh. That’s a good lad. Shh.” The hand shifted to smooth his hair away from his face with feather-light care. Tension and pain drained away further with each new touch. “All will be well, the Light please it be so.” Tension lurked beneath that warm reassurance. Fear. His stomach turned and he opened his eyes.

Dax found himself staring into a woman’s worried face. He stared at her first in fascination, and then in wordless wonder. She had high cheekbones and a well-shaped jaw, dark brows, pale eyes, and naturally red lips. Her beauty was marred by lines of worry that made her look older than she actually was. Her dark hair was pulled back with a red ribbon- the only touch of color in her otherwise dark attire.

“....Mamma?”

“Go back to sleep.” Ryanne leaned down and kissed his forehead and his nose filled with the scent of lavender. “You hit your head something good, my boy, but I’ll take care of you.” As she pulled away, he reached for her with a cry of fear.

“Don’t leave me!”

“Shh, Dakson. Mamma’s here. Mamma will always be here.”

~*~*~

Dax opened his eyes and immediately wished he hadn’t. He blinked rapidly, turning his face away from the sun to scrub at it with his forearm until the watering stopped. Muttering a variety of curses at himself for drinking too much yet again, the Tairen pushed himself upright and looked around.

He sat at the base of a stone pillar that seemed to tower into the sky from his vantage point. The smooth sides were inscribed with a variety of symbols that reminded him uncomfortably of some of the things Elia had written in her journals, but he couldn’t point to any one of them and say he knew what it meant. In front of him rose a hill banded in the colors of the seven traditional Ajahs. He turned and scrambled about to look the other direction; the movement caused his vision to swim, but he could tell the bands of color continued in an unbroken circle all the way around him.

He squeezed his eyes shut and scrubbed at his hair, then growled another inventive curse when his fingers caught on the lump just above his left ear. He explored it carefully, his fingers finding the rough ends of sutures without too much effort. No Healing, then. That simply piled mystery on top of insult and injury; muttering to himself, the Blademaster pulled himself upright against the stone. It was taller than he was, he realized.

The weight of his sword hung at his hip, and his cloak at his back. He checked his purse and found coin and a pair of Elia’s earrings, one of them broken. He had meant to get them repaired for her before- Before what? Thinking about it made his head hurt worse. At least he hadn't been robbed.

Stumbling clumsily and muttering the whole time, the Gaidin climbed out of the bowl-shaped divot in the ground. Eventually he stood -or rather, crouched while he panted for breath- in a clearing only a few spans from the edge of a cliff facing north. Lake Somal spread before him, glimmering in the mid-morning sun, unmistakable in its stately elegance. Its still waters reflected the deep blue sky and the endless trees marching along its shore perfectly, a mirror of reality that seemed to continue forever.

It reflected the trees marching along its shore.

Its entire shore.

Dax wet his lips. Then he reached for the flask strapped to his thigh and drank its fiery contents in one draft.
Image Image Image
I create to keep that dog at my bearable door / I'm a hologram in my egocentric universe

Red Head of Ajah Male
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Jesinne Molari
QC: Finn

Re: Moments Lost, Though Time Remains [Dax Solo]

Postby Sunny » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 am

I know she won't mind, she won't even know
She'll be dancing with a memory, crying teardrops of her own

“Want another?”

Dax nodded, mute, and held two fingers up without shifting from his intense perusal of the tabletop. A few minutes later a small tumbler and a mug appeared, pushed by be-ringed fingers several shades darker than the wood beneath them. He picked up the tumbler and examined the amber liquid within for a moment. Then he drank it down, blinking shocked tears back as it burned down his throat. Then he reached for the beer.

“You won’t find what you’re looking for at the bottom of that cup any more than you found it in the last seven, handsome.” Sultry and caring were an odd mix; Dax’s mouth twisted into an approximation of a smile before he looked up at the owner. Blue eyes lingered appreciatively over perfect curves, momentarily fell down an expanse of magnificent golden-brown bosom, then slid up to the woman’s face as smoothly as if no distraction had ever occurred. Amarie did not seem to mind. She had a full mouth that smiled easily, big caramel eyes, and thick hair that fought to escape the green scarf she had wrapped around it.

“Who says I’m looking for anything?” He shook his head. “Maybe I just like to drink.” He put the mug to his lips.

You won’t find what you’re looking for… No, he wouldn’t. Not in the cup, not anywhere. Insofar as he could gather, the world he wandered had never heard of the Grey Tower. What that meant, he couldn’t begin to imagine. Perhaps he had hit his head and the last week had been a dream. Perhaps the Shadow had tried something, or Elia had done some jiggery-pokery with the One Power that he couldn’t begin to comprehend, or….or maybe he had actually legitimately lost his mind. He wasn't sure it mattered; regardless of reason, he certainly wasn't getting out of the nightmare any time soon.

Amarie leaned forward and rose oil, heavy and sweet, pulled him back to the tavern. “Well you’re awfully dark and mysterious in that walnut of yours. Lonely, too. I can help with the last, you know.” Her hand crept up to cover the one he had left on the table; heat and tingles traveled up his arm from the contact. The Tairen maintained his bemused silence, and resisted the urge to pull- himself away, or her closer, either was as likely as the other. “Works better than alcohol, you know.” Ebony fingers laced through his own and gave a suggestive tug. “What do you say?”

He considered the proposition, tongue caught between his teeth as he met her gaze. Then he pressed a silver coin against the table and slid it toward her with two fingers. “You are beautiful,” the Tairen told her, silently cursing himself when his voice wavered. “But I have a- a wife, you understand. I can’t- won’t-” his breath hissed through his teeth as he searched for words.

The thought of explaining Elia to a stranger overwhelmed him more than this strange place he had found himself in. Four years had to count for something even if they still danced around the word ‘forever’ as if it might bite them. Elia had a color and her scent kept him up at night and somewhere...somehow...she was caring for their children. He might never see her again; the least he could do was honor her memory by calling her wife.

He looked down and away, hiding his face lest Amarie see his thoughts on his face. She tucked the coin away, her grip on his fingers loosening into something closer to a hug- if hands alone could do such a thing. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know,” she said. “Have you been apart for long?”

“You don’t have to pretend to care anymore, you already know I’m not worth the time,” Dax snapped, abruptly angered by her curiosity and wanting nothing more than to be away as fast as his feet could take him.

The former Tinker tsked softly. “You want some cheese with that wine, honey?” The Tairen looked up, surprised by her tone. Amarie arched an eyebrow at him and for a moment Dax felt like nothing so much as a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “That was some grade-A self-pitying crap,” she informed him. He scowled, pulling himself upright. It wasn’t like that!

Amarie shook her head, crazy curls taking on a life of their own as she moved. “Now you’re going to pout at me with those big blue eyes, aren’t you? Do yourself a favor and grow a pair. Your lady friend deserves that much at least.” The woman patted him on the cheek without waiting for a response, kissed him on the forehead, and sashayed away, wiggling her fingers at him over her shoulder.

Dax swore under his breath and reached for his drink. As it turned out there was something he wanted at the bottom of the cup after all: oblivion.
Image Image Image
I create to keep that dog at my bearable door / I'm a hologram in my egocentric universe

Return to “Alternate Reality”