The Shadow moves towards the Citadel.
Pineapple Ajah
PC: Murdock Mather, Keeper of the Archives
SC: Nathaniel Carridus, Asha'man (Blue)
TC: Maever Donovan, Asha'man (Yellow)

Two Guys and a Citadel: o Kloye e Frait shin

Postby Matty » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Nathaniel Carridus

Some of their group had chosen to stay awake and patrol that night, preparing for the impending onslaught of trollocs in the morning. Nate was not one of those people, but not because he was lazy - he was absolutely shattered from channelling, and he needed both a hearty meal and a sleep if he was to be any use the following day. Fortunately both of these things could be provided, and Nate ate enough for two men before declaring it was time for him to get some shut-eye.

He did make sure Alrim had something to eat as well, though it wasn't anything like Nate's own portion. The man's excuse was that he'd been channelling, but they both knew he was just a big eater. There was a small cupboard Nate could pilfer to get some sleep - a thin mattress, nothing to write home about, took up all the space on the floor, but Nate would take it. It was along the walls overlooking the north gate, and there was no negotiating, he needed sleep. Nate didn't bother to bathe, he just threw all his clothes into a corner next to his hammer and boots and flopped face first onto the thin pillow, hair spilling around him now it was out of its bun. He was asleep in seconds.

-

There was a bell and that was what woke Nate, though it had been ringing for a while. Nate sat up with a grunt, pushing his hair from his vision as he remembered where he was. Ow. He rolled his thick neck in a circle - not a comfy bed. But he felt better for the sleep, apart from the whole impending battle thing. It wasn't the fighting that bothered Nate, it was the number of people here that he cared for that he didn't want to see get into trouble. I'll just have to keep an eye on them Nate told himself as he stood and stretched. He threw the door open to get a look at what was going on, grimacing as his eyes adjusted to the early morning light.

Bells was nearby and he looked tired but ready. Nate gave him a grin, "Mornin'! Did you even sleep? I'd have let you stay in here but it might've been a bit cosy." The Blue looked down, realising he'd just thrown open the door in his smallclothes. With a shrug of his shoulders he grabbed his trousers and pulled them on, getting dressed quickly. "What's the status Bells? Where's the most scum I can blow up?" He paused with his shirt in his hand to look at the sky, adding "it's a storm, a big one. But not the sort that involves rain." It was going to hit soon, he didn't need some bloody bell to tell him that.
------ Murdock -------------- Nathaniel --------------- Maever -------

Ji'val
PC: Alrim Farshera Gaidin

Re: Two Guys and a Citadel: o Kloye e Frait shin

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:00 am

It had been a restless night for Alrim, the notion of impending doom had intruded upon his mind far too often for his liking and sleep had eluded him because of it. He had eaten at least, a nice warm bowl of broth that had filled him enough to ease his tired body from the day's skirmishing. Yet as he had wedged him into the corner of the wall next to Brawn's room - his duty to Hadia now done he had defaulted it to his friend - his rough blanket had given him little solace. He had resorted to looking down into the heart of the courtyard, watching the comings and going between fits of slumber.

At some point he had taken the opportunity to properly clean and sharpen his blades, the rhythmic whisk of the whetstone proving to be quite relaxing. He had seen Hadia leave by Gateway and return without anyone additional. That had made him frown as he was smart enough to presume the Aes Sedai had gone to find help. She had returned without any. He had to smile at that, a dark smile. It was not his place to know much but he had a mind and it was telling him that they were well and truly done in.

Such thoughts had spun through his head even before the horde had arrived, horns echoing ahead of them and drawing every defender - trained and just haphazardly armed servant - to the walls, there to meet their fates. The wind whipped his hair and caused his bells to both chime and slap into his face in turns. He wrapped up his cloak and threw it into his corner, it would be of no use now. Just as he surveyed the enemy, noting the flying specks and what he assumed were at least a few Fades, Brawn came out in naught but his underwear.

"Glad to see you're prepared Brawn, you can scare them off and we won't have to fight them eh?" he snorted as he let him dress before answering.

As for his own attire he had managed to get himself a decent set of rough lamellar armour atop medium thickness cloth, bracers bunching the loose fabric at his elbows. It was a one-size fits all affair for Ji'val. He supposed he could ask for specially crafted equipment when he became Gaidin - if he did. His hopes of that were steadily declining as his eyes scanned the Shadow.

"Storm is right Brawn," he responded softly, he felt it too, "arrows first though, I think. Looks like they have a ram for the gate too. I'd say you should probably...blow them up...from here for a while first. Plenty of targets"

"Times like this I wonder what it was I did wrong to have such bad luck," he shook his head, "just try not to make me take another sword" he grinned then, possible death seemed to have a way of making him laugh or cry, he was the jester this time.

As he was speaking the walls were becoming even more packed, archers taking their places. He presumed Lysira would be having some fun this day and as for Riahana he was sure he blade would quench its thirst many times over. As for himself he was sat upon the wall, legs dangling over into the abyss and hands behind him as he leaned back to talk to his giant friend,

"Think it'll start soon, they seem riled up," he span around backwards and landed behind the wall on the balls of his feet, "they're sending cavalry to meet them too. For the Tower?" he hefted his bow and nocked an arrow.

He really couldn't miss for the sea.
~
Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along
~

Pineapple Ajah

Postby Matty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Nate just gave a snort and continued dressing, "scare them off? If I wanted to do that I'd just let them get a look at your ugly mug." He was soon all buttoned up and presentable as an Asha'man, though this meant he wore significantly less armour than anyone else around. Nate wasn't the sort to wear a lot of heavy metal to weigh him down, he was heavy enough as it was and he was pretty sure there wouldn't be anything that would fit him in a pinch. No, Nate did indeed plan on standing back as much as possible and channelling at them.

"I'll be taking out that ram," he promised Bells, "that's my main focus. I won't let that rabble through the gate... no matter what it takes." The Asha'man took his hammer from the room and held it in both hands, and now he was ready. Nate was still young, he had years of experience he needed to bring to the table before he could be considered an Asha'man who could take care of himself, but he was all that they had in the Citadel it would seem. Nate made the best with what he had and if they needed him to be a weapon, then a weapon he would be. Bloody trollocs needed a good roasting anyway. Oh, not to mention the Eyeless as well.

More archers began to line the walls and Nate knew it was time for them to get into position. "See you on the other side Bells," he said with a grimace. "No sword wounds this time, alright? Should be a good day. You, me, the trollocs, what's so bad about that apart from being vastly outnumbered with a lack of resources... oh wait." He gave a wry grin, "let neither of us get any pretty scars, hmm?" With that Bells was nocking an arrow like he knew how to fire it from a bow, and Nate stomped over to get some space, nudging archers aside. "Scuse me, channeller coming through, weapon of mass disruption... thank you kindly..." the giant Asha'man parted the men around him like a rock in water, getting a good look down at the gate below. Ahh yes there was their intended ram.

Arrows were fired from the wall, at some command Nate missed. The Blue looked on as the arrows seemed to just melt into the sea of trollocs - it wasn't going to be enough. Burn it all, it wouldn't be.

Time to sew some chaos. Nate seized Saidin and began to weave threads of Air and Fire, lashing out with lightning and scattering it among the horde below him. Trollocs fell left and right, so many of them that they failed to leave an impression on Nate, who was taking down more of these beasts than anyone else just through his ability to channel. The Blue knew that this wasn't where he was supposed to be fighting, that he needed to sort out that bloody ram, but then the trollocs were throwing their ladders up and there were more of them than Nate was prepared for. They'd come to the wall so quickly, Light! Nate cut at the nearest ladder with Air, but he couldn't reliable see the others. Not from the top, anyway...

Ah well, if now was his time then so be it.

Nate made his way to the next nearest ladder that was resting against the wall, hoisting himself up and looking down at the trollocs climbing their way up. These were sturdy ladders, big and broad for these beasts. They would suit Nate just fine. "Sorry, this one's mine now!" he announced, lashing out with Air to cut the trollocs by the hands. Down they fell, and Nate lowered himself on the ladder. His hammer, he left at the top. Much better. He looked left and right, seeing ladders on either side. Now he was in a perfect position to cut the ladders in half, saving the men at the top from a lot of hassle. Down they fell, trollocs screeching as they landed among their peers, and Nate gave a grunt of satisfaction at seeing the difference he was making.

Of course doing this made Nate quite the target, and it wasn't long before he gained the attention of several Eyeless who had similar ideas about removing ladders from play. Nate realised quite belatedly that perhaps he ought to have tied a rope around his waist and had some men keep a hold of it for this inevitability... well, it was too late for regrets now. Nate did his very best to scuttle back up the big ladder, but he was a bit too far down and when they cut the ladder, well, he was still fondly attached to it.

"Oh bloody ashes," Nate growled as the leaning structure fell flat against the wall, smashing him into it. Miraculously the ladder still held in place - Nate looked up to see that at the top, there were a number of people holding the top, keeping him in place with his piece of ladder. Nate thought on his feet and used Air to hold the ladder against the wall, digging into the stone and wrapping Air around it so he was effectively hooked in. Then he began to make his way up, thick arms trembling with adrenaline and the exertion of it all. There were hands at the top to help haul him over and Nate fell onto his back, breathing heavily and grinning with a thumbs up to the people overhead.

"Need to... get down there... bust that ram." The Asha'man was out of breath but there was no time to rest. He began to haul himself back to his feet, and he was presented with his hammer by a friendly archer.

Ji'val

Postby Andy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:04 am

It was a monstrous beast, the sea, roiling and baying at the walls. Rushing in, hitting the impenetrable stone only to ripple back and redouble its inhuman efforts. Blackness, endless blackness and with it the sound. The thumping of metal and wood and hoof. It was almost overpowering, the rhythmic noise of one, giant heart beat. If he hadn't been so repelled he might have thought it to be enchanting, minus the bestial punctuations of course. As it was he was scowling down in hatred, as if his very bones desired to rip the beasts to shreds. Tired he was but he had not forgotten who had ripped his family from him.

The last Farshera, all culled by the Shadow. Come and try to cut me down and feel my vengeance his mind darkened, filling itself with unfamiliar loathing. His usual light spirit was gone momentarily and there were no friends to bring him back to himself, no loves to anchor himself to.

Instead there was only the coldness of the ko'di, the Oneness that he had finally -after much effort and many failures - mastered enough to fight with, though it tired him beyond measure. He was not sure how long he could fight after such little sleep and injuries already sustains but he would do what he could. His arrows were let loose, one after the other, not so much picking his targets at first as just trying to butcher as many as possible, as quickly as possible. Eventually he was able to pick out the Fades, more than he had hoped but perhaps not enough to overwhelm them if they were lucky. He shifted his aim and tried to bring them down. At least when his arrows missed he still killed Trollocs and he saw at least one Fade fall, an arrow through his skull.

"Eye for an eye" he smiled grimly as what seemed like only a handful of Trollocs amongst the horde fell and screamed.

Then came the ladders and grappling hooks, the shouts of the defenders alerting each other in related messages to make ready for combat and to give no ground or quarter. Flimsy words but they rallied the men and caused them to rail against death. His eye scanned the walls as he leant over to get a good look at where they were landing first, first left and then right and he saw some already in place, Trollocs falling from them already as......what in the name of the Creator was Brawn doing??! There was no mistaking that it was Brawn, the figure was too large and he would recognise the idiot from miles away.

Climbing DOWN the ladder? I told you to- his thoughts gave way and the Onesness trembled with his incredulity and fear before he fed them into the flames and once more a form of serenity returned. He resigned himself to having a chat with the man when he got to him, possibly opening with a thump to his thick skull.

It was as he stalked in Brawn's direction along the wall that the grapplers came and the dull thudding of wooden ladders slammed into the wall beside him. The call went up and axes were pulled out to hack at rope and wood - the former more successful.

"Wait! Hold your blades until the things are on them or there's no point!" he snatched an axe from one, younger than he was by the look of it but his words were heeded and their Shienarian leader, whatever the rank was Alrim didn't know, nodded curtly and looked over the chasm to note the progress of the Trollocs.

That was for the grapplers at least, the heavy wooden ladders were still being chopped, partly out of fear and partly because it might have taken two men a score of minutes to hack the hooks away and push the ladder back. Alrim breathed deeply, a sigh at the fact he was caught where he was, far from those he cared about most excluding one. He wondered, briefly, whether Fiona and Paks were safe. Whether Alric was enjoying a book in some dusty corner somewhere. He fired the last of his arrows at random before putting aside his bow.

"Brawn, you better be alive after this" he muttered.

Drawing his sword he rolled his shoulders, bells jingling in the wind as he planted himself in front of the centre of three ladders, soldiers surrounding him and whispering to each other. He was not sure if they stood by him because they wanted to or if they figured he would get in the way and die first and thus forestall their own for a moment of two. He didn't care. Wind whipped his hair as he waited what seemed like forever, a painful delay. One ladder further along the wall went clattering down to take another out beside it and a cheer rose up.

The cheer stopped as the horns appeared. His blade flashed forwards to take the head off and the battle for the walls began.
~
Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens all along
~

Pineapple Ajah

Postby Matty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:34 am

There wasn't really any time for Nate to rest, as much as he wanted to kick back and catch his breath. Even with the ladders he had taken out, there would be more, and the grappling hooks besides. Nate wasn't going to risk going over the edge again, he'd already done it once and that had been a little close to the edge for his liking. Still, the adrenaline of it pumped through his veins, and he wore a grin as he considered his next move. He knew what he wanted it to be, it was the "how" that eluded him. At least, until he peered over the walls and got a proper look at the huge hunk of wood that qualified as a battering ram against their gate.

Sure, he could stand up there and hammer at the trollocs mounting the walls. But Nate wasn't an NPC, he was their token channeller, and he was going to put himself where he was the most useful. If the gate fell then they would have a lot more problems than they currently did. Nate took his hammer up and held it out ready, striding with a purpose in the direction of the steps that would take him down to the ground level and the gates there. With a better vantage point over the ground where the ram was being utilised, Nate could channel weaves of Air and Fire to cut down the trollocs using the ram, but there would be more where they came from. Their successors shifted their bodies aside and took up the handholds on the ram, and Nate could stand there all bloody day setting them and the wood on fire and he wouldn't get anywhere. They needed a more permanent solution.

"I need to get down there!" he growled at the man with the most armour who seemed to be making the most noise, which probably put him in charge. "I have a plan!"

"Go down there?" the man yelped. "That's suicide, Asha'man! We need you up here - I won't allow it!"

"That's a real shame my friend, because I'm not asking for permission." Nate clasped him on the shoulder, "I'm going to clear the area around the ram, and while it's free we can open the gates and wheel the ram inside ourselves. I can't burn that thing quickly, it'll take too long and they'll use it to break the gates down first. We need to get it out of the way, and we need to do it now!" Nate took up some rope and tied it around a conveniently placed beam of wood nearby. "Gather your men at the back of the gate, enough to carry the ram through. I'll head down and clear the area, hold them off. I won't be able to do it for long so as soon as I make it safe, we need to get that gate open and the men through, alright?"

There was always the risk that he wouldn't, that the man wouldn't get the soldiers Nate needed to move the ram. Nate himself was determined, and stubborn with it. He looked over the wall again at the mass of trollocs before, a scowl on his face. He tied the rope around his waist just in case, and gave a salute to the men on the wall. Fortunately the captain was already sending men down to the gate. "On my signal, open the gate and grab that ram!"

Nate used lathes of Fire and Air to hack at the trollocs down below, opening the path he needed. He just needed to get down without getting shot in the back... and if he did get shot, preferably it wouldn't be somewhere important. The Asha'man cheerfully rolled over the wall and found his feet against the stone, walking himself down as quickly as he dared...

of course the big man's boots slipped on the slick rock, and losing his footing he was just holding on by his arms. Luckily Nate's long hours with the hammer translated well when it came to upper body strength, and Nate shimmied himself down the rest of the way with his heart in his stomach, arrows pinging off the wall around him. As he got lower he continued to channel, so the ground at his feet was free (and also quite hot). Well. Descending into the sea of blackness was a most dangerous move, considering the number of Eyeless there had to be around, so the Asha'man wasted no time in barrelling his way to the ram, which was thankfully not at all far away.

He wasn't the most dextrous of channellers, Nate figured it came with being too stubborn to multitask, but right then the big Blue split his weaves into three. One of them was pushing the trollocs to his left back away from the ram and the gate with Air. The other was lashing out with more fire to engulf the trollocs using the ram already, who were too engaged in that activity to defend themselves. The third set of weaves were a mixture of Fire and Air that he used to take down those who were getting past the wall of Air he was erecting, trying to create a safe bubble for them to operate in. Already Nate was feeling the effects of such exertion, but he was determined to carry on and do his bit.

There was only one other issue with this plan that Nate hadn't really thought through, and that was what in the Light Bells was up to, and what he would make of all this. Nate wasn't used to operating with other people in mind, either to protect them or be protected in turn, he'd simply done what he would do were he here alone. Hopefully Bells was alright, defending himself against the shadow and not getting into any ridiculous or dangerous situations. Like going through the gate when it opened to help move the ram. That was a risky move, especially considering that the Fades were going to be coming over soon by climbing over their trollocs to get over the wall of Air. Nate could only make it so tall and still be able to repel the trollocs that pushed against it. I probably owe Bells an apology, the man thought as he worked, but there's so much going on here that he probably didn't even see me leave. Or go over the wall on the ladder. Phew!

Ji'val

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:46 am

So far the fighting for the wall had been dicey but largely successful for the defenders of the Citadel. Trollocs had come and Trollocs had died. A few times a foothold had been taken but Alrim and the others had been swift enough pushing them back and cutting them down that it was neither sustained or detrimental. That was for their section of the wall at least, he didn't know about the other sections though so far no runners had come to tell them to fall back to other positions and that was a good sign. What he did know, as he stepped aside from a Trolloc's blade and guided into the belly of another, was that he would surely have nightmares for the rest of his life. He span and both of their heads fell to the floor beside the corpse of a youngster who had fallen in his first battle, guts spilled to steam onto the stone.

"Unlucky bastard" he muttered as he stepped back for a breather and a few others stepped in to take his place.

They had worked out the system pretty quickly, quicker than he would have expected he had to admit. The front ranks fought for a while then stepped back and the second took their place. then the third. All told there had been four ranks on the walls to rotate with each other. There were fewer now, as few as two in some places. The unlucky and the poorly skilled were already dead. It made him hate himself to admit it but as more fell only the truly able remained, the warriors best capable of winning the battle. It seemed a terrible way to look at the waste of life but it was true and Alrim was getting a crash course in warfare that he wished he didn't have to have.

"Other walls hold Ji, runners came and told us to keep them off the walls but if it looks like we can't to raise the alarm and fall back to either side. Protect towers and stairs to keep them contained. Try to retake wall sections" the lad slapped him on the shoulder in silent support as Alrim drank deeply from a flash he had been passed before passing it back.

"Sounds like Riahana's got this planned out then. Wonder if we should tell them and see if they go home knowing they can't win eh?" he smiled grimly and nodded to the lad who nodded and ran off to the next wall section.

Burn me how long can we keep it up? They're ten times the number or more and we're losing men faster than we like he told himself as he rested his blood soaked forehead against the cool stone of the Tower.

"What is he doing?"

"He's mad. Mad!"

"Someone stop him, quick!!"

Alrim sighed and knew that something else had come along to strike at his energy and spirit. He took a few deep breaths before turning and encountering the scene. It took him a few moments to process what he was seeing, blinking dumbly at the world and refusing the believe it. When he finally accepted it something in him snapped and he was screaming obscenities at the world in general and half-thinking he should rope himself up and go down after the man. What was he doing??!! He was mad! Madder than mad! He was going to get himself killed and for nothing! He couldn't help Brawn down there, it was suicide. His fingers trembled with the mixture of fear and anger and he knew that he could. He would follow him, even if only to smack him for the stupidity after keeping him alive.

"Get the damned gate open! You heard me, get it open! We don't have time to explain just...will you just..."

Alrim looked down from the side of the tower that made half of the gateway and saw the commotion. He knew what Brawn was thinking. Open the gate to get him back in after destroying the ram. He jumped down the stairs and ran full pelt towards the gate, not even stopping to argue and starting to get the gate open along with the others. He could hear screams on the other side and Nate's voice shouting for something. It was muted and he couldn't make out the words. The men were working as fast as they could but opening the damned thing was not so easy once it had been barred and sealed up tight.

"Oh Light, I really think Riahana's going to kill me for this. Lysira too. Probably all of them. The things I do...." he was muttering to himself as the gates began to drift open and he saw the battle taking place.

He wet straight for the Trollocs slipping through whatever barrier Brawn was making and began to hack them down. Sliding under one blade to bring his own across its abdomen before turning another blade and reversing his strike to drive it up under the brute's ribs. He wasn't next to Brawn but he was hacking his way closer, trying to get close enough to keep the maniac alive. It helped that some were sliced and burned into pieces and other men had formed a sortie to tackle the Trollocs trying to keep possession of the battering ram. They were winning, as unlikely as it seemed. He wished he could feel happy about that as he danced this way and that, his blade slipping out between blocks and dodges to deal death where he could.

Then he was beside Brawn and then in front of him, before the giant and the horde and they really wanted to get in to kill them both. He looked over his shoulder briefly to see Nate was taking slow steps back, and kept pace in front of him.

"Get that bloody ram in now! I said do it and make it quick or it's insubordination damn you!" was all he heard and he intercepted yet another Trolloc, slicing off its arm before slashing its throat and was forced to immediately cross blades with another, forced back by it's strength and the fact that he was essentially standing in mud. He stepped aside and let it's bulk carry it forwards to meet a spurt of fire to slice it to piece.

I swear to the Light if the Creator let's me live he can ask anything of me and I'll damned well give it he vowed as the ram made slow progress towards the gate and began to be surrounded by a thin line of defenders staving off the Trolloc advances that slipped through.
~
~

Pineapple Ajah

Postby Matty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 pm

The gates were slow to open, Nate knew they would be, but he was impatient for them to get on with it. He was holding the horde back as much as he could but there were trollocs climbing over - the braver ones anyway - and sometimes one was just shoved through his wall of Air altogether, where he wasn't strong enough to constantly maintain it. He dealt with them with a strand of Fire where he could, but he needed to concentrate on the wall.

Then reinforcements arrived to take care of the stragglers, and Nate felt the relief lapping against the void. Thank the Light for that, this would have been an awkward way to die... Nate felt a lot better about life now he had some support, and when the ram began to move behind him, he couldn't help the grin on his face. Awesome! Removing the ram and shutting the gates back up would take a valuable weapon off the shadow, and for that Nate was most pleased. He took a step backwards, returning bit by bit to the safety the walls provided.

And then Bells was there, one of the soldiers mad and/or brave enough to come and help wipe up the messy stragglers Nate couldn't quite hold back. It was alright for Nate to be there, he was badass and could set things on fire, Bells... couldn't. The idea of Bells coming to harm because he was there was a tad distressing, especially because Nate had a pretty good idea why - more specifically, whom it was that brought him out. Still, there was no time for questions, regrets or anything of the sort, they had to get themselves back inside promptly. Easier said than done, the ram was large and the gates slow to close up again. Nate moved backwards and with it he let the wall closer as well, not moving it as quickly as he walked, but enough that it would get smaller as they retreated, and be easier to maintain. A little. Nate had done his fair share of gruelling exercises in order to gain proficiency with the hammer, and this was leaving him sweatier and more exhausted than any of the exercises the Gaidin made him do. Nate watched how Bells moved - he had come a long way since they first met - and there was a quiet appreciation for what the man was doing, putting his life on the line for him.

It was an appreciation he would have to come back to later, because for now they were still slowly moving backwards, fending off their rogue trollocs, and getting through the gate. The ram was halfway through, a quick glance informed him, and the big man thought: this was it. They were actually going to make it out alive. There was less room for fighting now, the walls holding up better and less trollocs slipping through. It was going well, so it was only inevitable that something would go wrong.

It was a catapult from the shadow's side, a great burning rock. Nate hadn't noticed any before heading on down but then he'd been thinking of the ladders, and the ram, and not looking at the bigger picture. Now this great big massive bloody rock was sailing through the air towards them and in a sickening realisation Nate knew it was going to aim true - right in their faces. Unless he did something about it. But then he would have to remove his weaves holding the wall together, and that would let the trollocs through the gates. It was better for everyone if Nate took it on the chin so to speak, let the rock do what rocks did best... but there was a not so small part of Brawn that was sure as heck not letting anything happen to Alrim. Sure, Nate couldn't alter the trajectory of the rock without letting up the walls of Air, but he could spare a weave to protect his friend.

"Bells look out!" he shouted. He didn't know how this would pan out, and that was a scary realisation, but at least Nate had the hindsight to tie off his weaves of Air creating the wall. As he did this he used more Air to block Alrim from as much of the incoming rock as possible.

The rock hit the wall just to their left, smashing into it with force and knocking loose no small amount of bricks and stones and other such things. The ground vibrated with the impact and Nate fell flat on his ass because of it, but he was right back up again and grateful that Bells was safe from the debris falling from the wall. Unfortunately he hadn't taken this into account for himself, and that was when the stones fell on him, knocking him on his back and knocking him out.

Ji'val

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:06 pm

He was sure he was going to die this time, there was literally nothing else in his life where he had risked more than he was doing now and with the least protection. If he did manage to survive he would consider himself the luckiest man alive. They were winning! His elation threatened to interfere with the Void as he reverse cut at a Trolloc and another one was felled by a crossbow bolt from the walls. They had sustained fire now and that was enough to turn the tide, He took the legs out from another as he retreated slowly and stepped to the side to meet another and after a few exchanged blows running it through. he had sustained a number of cuts by now and his skin felt like it was on fire.

Then came the shouting and his head turned in time to see the carnage - wall fragments raining down as the ram began to cross the threshold. He saw the pieces fly at him and hit the invisible, a shield. He coughed as he staggered through the dust cloud towards where he had last seen the giant. Grunts filled the air around him and made it seem like Trollocs were swarming past him - he hoped it wasn't so. He almost stumbled aver Nate as he searched, knocked out and bleeding. He fell to his knees and felt the man's chest, breathing thank the Light. He put one of the man's arm's around his shoulder and grunted with the effort of pulling him up and over his shoulder. He ran for the gate as bricks rained down.

One came out of nowhere and slammed into him, causing him to stumble. He shoved Nate ahead as he fell forwards, to slide to the threshold for the others to drag him free as bricks tumbles around him. He was hit in the back of the knee and he crumpled, staggering just in time to get hit in the shoulder by a few larger pieces. The crunch was unmistakable and he felt the flare out of pain as his eyes watered. Footsteps approaching, Trollocs would get him no doubt. He pushed himself up and ran for it, the sounds of Trollocs being hit closing behind him. He turned at the threshold to try to buy time, just in time to put his sword through one and for another to slam into his already injured side and send him sprawling. For good measure falling debris glanced across his cheek and the world went momentarily black.

He would have been done for had not another wall of air and a fireball of an inferno sprouted up in front of them all and the soldiers and dragged him back and into the Citadel. Upon his back he tried to regain his breath and test how much he could move. He couldn't move his shoulder and his leg felt like it had something wrong with it too.

"Put the ram against the gate, second barricade!" he heard through the mental fog as consciousness seemed to throb in and out of his world.

"...get them...healer...stupid bastard did it can't....make sure...don't die"

Then nothingness, either the pain or the impact had taken what little energy he had had to stay awake from him. It seemed almost instantly his eyes flickered open and he saw stone and timber ceiling construction. Blinking a few times he felt the pain rush back and hissed through his teeth. The initial shock that they had survived and with minimal casualties began to seep into his rattled and quite frayed sense of control. His eyes widened and his nostrils flared. His arms were slashed with several minor injuries and his torso felt like it had taken a beating under its armour, but even through the throbbing pain came anger. His eyes narrowed and lips flattened as a stony, enraged spark filled his eyes. He could not remember ever being this angry and he knew exactly where it was directed.

"You bastard! You utter...you stupid...what in the Light were...you bastard! You almost got yourself killed burn you!" he mumbled to himself as he tried to figure out where he was. It was hard, his face felt numbed and not fully responsive - he remembered something hitting his cheek, had probably broken something there too. He stopped trying to talk to stop the flashes of white. Wherever he was he was on his back and felt like something had stomped all over him.

"Easy lad, easy" gentle but firm fingers held him down on his good side and a face appeared above him, "healer's coming soon, few more and you'll be done. Keep still now. Bloody did it though didn't we?"

Alrim snorted and regretted it immediately. He wasn't sure how inured he was but he truly hoped that he would be okay, that the Yellow could get him back to his old self. Felt like cracked ribs and broken collarbone. Maybe his cheek. Possibly upper arm and something to do with his leg. It had been going so well up until that point too. He groaned and set about trying to get the Void up, at least it could numb the pain. After a few tries he managed a rudimentary form of it and he felt immeasurably better. It was taking far longer than he wished. At least Brawn was alive, he had made sure of that at least. Something to hold on to.
~
~

Pineapple Ajah

Postby Matty » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:26 am

There was presumably an interval of time where Nate was hauled off to get himself Healed, though Nate had no real clue about the who and why and what. One minute he was being knocked clean out by a barrage of rock, and then next he was lying on his back being Healed by one of the few channellers that they had in the Citadel. The Blue lay back on the ground with just a bunch of rags to pass as a pillow, making a puzzled face at the ceiling above him. He could hear combat but he wasn't in the thick of it now, and presumably he wasn't dead. Nate figured he would have known about it if he was dead.

"Uhhh." He started to sit up and was promptly pushed to lie back down.

"You should rest a moment, you had some nasty cuts and a blow to the head." The man who Healed him was firm in that and the Blue nodded his head, figuring he could afford a moment to collect himself. He might have actually rested had he not remembered: "Bells!" And with that Nate sat up, ignoring the attempt to push him back down. "Where's Bells- uhhh, Alrim? Is he alright?" His light eyes roved around the room, ignoring the injured until he found the fellow. He was being seen to by someone else, channelling by the looks of it. And he probably needed it.

"Alrim? He's the man who saved your hide, carried you through the gate when you were knocked out." One of the nearby soldiers grunted, "nearly got yourself killed out there." The soldier made a face, "he's an honourable Borderlander as we all are. Makes up for the riff raff we get from elsewhere."

"I'm still alive," Nate said stubbornly, "and so's he. And we have the ram as well, that's a big deal." Never had Nate had any issues with anyone about being a Mayener, even the Tairens he had encountered - outside of his tests for Raising - didn't mind his heritage. It was odd that in the Borderlands of all places, he was made to feel like he wasn't supposed to be there, when really they needed more channellers like Nate. The Asha'man grunted at the thought and ignored the soldier, not the sort of man to dwell on the negative.

Nate waited until Alrim was left alone, a small smile on his face as his friend had come to watch his back. He was a good sort, too good for Nate really. Honourable, noble, brave, doing the right thing... an affectation of warmth made the Mayener haul to his feet and he went to go sit by the long haired man, easing down next to him. "Bells, we did it! We got the ram inside, and now the gate should hold. I mean, there's still plenty more to do, but we don't have to worry about that, and..." the man trailed off when he got a proper look at the Borderlander's expression. Those dark eyes were furrowed and he did not look best pleased.

"I was gonna thank you for saving my hide back there," he said, "and for having my back. But you look like you've got something to get off your chest, so... let's have it then." Nate had a thick skin, and he probably deserved some of what had Alrim out of sorts.

Ji'val

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:03 am

The Healer finally came and he felt as if he had been dipped into the icy waters of the winter's pond. For a moment he wondered if he were going mad but the frown on the Aes Sedai's face seemed to look through him and to the stone below. He rationalised it as part of the process, whatever that process was. It took a few minutes and it was the strangest feeling he had ever known. Chilled but not numb and his body reacting and repairing itself. No pain either - that was the other thing which shocked him. He fancied he could almost feel the bones coming back into place and the muscles becoming snug around them again. He exhaled with the shock of it and when it was over gasped in a deep breath or three to get some air back.

Then came the hunger, as if he hadn't eaten for two days. Then the tiredness, much deeper and filling than it had been before even upon the walls. He blinked and felt a sudden warmth as an Asha'man now stood next to him, the Aes Sedai having moved on down the queue. The tiredness vanished and the hunger stopped biting as much.

"You were hurt enough that you will like as not sleep a whole day or more after this. If we get through it. I took the tiredness but don;t be fooled if you push too far, beyond what you can physically handle, you might kill yourself and waste our work. Be wise now" the man told him gruffly before following his healer sister.

Alrim levered himself up, suddenly brimming with vigour, and with a grunt put his back to the wall and checked himself over. The cuts and surface wounds were mostly gone, the worst of them vanished. He couldn't tell if any wounds remained at all in the dim torch light. He blessed it as a miracle and began to lever himself up to his feet a little unsteadily as Nate arrived and began to speak and get himself to his feet too. Some of Alrim's anger had dissipated already, it was hard to stay angry when he had just had any damage done reversed. Besides which Nate was too likeable. Still, he had to say something or the giant would get himself killed one day.

"He's alright now isn't he?" he asked one of the men who must have brought them to be healed, he was just behind Brawn and watching with unabashed interest.

"Seems like, about as alright as someone as mad as him can be"

"Good. And you are welcome Brawn, now..." he said as grabbed Brawn by his rather ragged shirt and looked at him directly, using up the last of his anger for the man's own benefit.

"You will never do something that stupid again! Do you understand me?!" his tone was hard and sharp, as if trying to rivet the words into Brawn's skull so that they stuck there for all time and brought some caution to the giant's carefree soul, not that he expected it to work, "never. I swear if you ever even think of doing something like again I'll chuck you over the wall myself" he finished and released him.

He didn't like being angry with him, he was his best friend, pretty much his brother, but if anyone was going to tell him off it'd be Alrim. At least he'd do it with a heavy heart and wouldn't relish the encounter like some would. He looked at the Borderlander and got a curt nod in response.

"You're lucky you might as well be my brother. If you weren't you'd be dead already because I'd have not been there. Don't throw your life away so easily I've had enough funerals for the time being" he sighed.

"Hate to interrupt this but there's still Trollocs on the walls, worse now. Gate's dealt with, got to admit your giant here got that job done. Still a fight though. Lost your sword I'm afraid but got another one here for ye" the man passed Alrim a blade that seemed a bit better than the last one he had had, which was a bit of luck for once. He wasn't sure if the man had picked it out on purpose or just taken the first he could find but he was grateful all the same.

"Yes, I need to go kill things. Whilst I still can. Knowing my luck it'll be Eyeless on the walls next," he snorted as the screeches filled the air from outside, "oh...Draghkar, my lucky day" he told himself as he strapped the sword to his back and buckled it into place.

Alrim turned and made for the door, turning to look at Nate, this time without much anger left in his eyes.

"Are you coming or do you want a chair? I want you where I can keep an eye on you"
~
~

Return to “Hoc Est Bellum”