Levels of Knowledge (Attn: Camille)

Novice
PC: Nyaine Lintelle, Accepted

Re: Levels of Knowledge (Attn: Camille)

Postby Daniel » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:05 pm

Nyaine
“A fair amount of time, though probably shorter than you might expect just now. I found that as my aptitude to channelling in general increased, in conjunction with the constant training, it became also a lot easier to learn new weaves.”

Nyaine had been impressed that Camille had not needed her to demonstrate the weave a second time, especially after she had failed the first time. Was it proof of a good memory or was the novice someone who was adept at reading the residues of weaves? She made a note of this question, then with the pen still in hand channelled, this time a simple weave of mostly Air and Fire, creating a hardened cushion of air next to her stack of papers. After finishing her writing, she knotted the weave, let go of saidar and then put the pen on the air cushion, so that for any man or a woman who could not channel, it would appear as if it was hovering a few inches over the table.

“For this next part, please describe to me what it is that I have done here.” Nyaine indicated towards her floating pen and then folded her hands in her lap again. “Then I would like you to try and reproduce it.”

Novice
PC: Camille Alvandrin

Postby James » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:44 pm

Camille
Camille wasn't quite sure how the Accepted wanted her to describe the weave. It was like trying to describe a painting - a splash of color here, a stroke of a brush there, but impossible to convey the whole picture. Still, she tried her best.

"Um... you took threads of Air... and then you braided them together and made a diamond shape. Then you added some Fire to that and then more Air, all braided together in another diamond, but this time it was upright instead of lying flat. All of that came together as you tightened the flows... and then you tied off the weave."

That hadn't gone very well, but Camille wanted to get back to the channeling. Saidar called to her, sweeter than any song, and she embraced it eagerly. The flows of Air came easily enough, though Fire less so. She wove quickly and with confidence, sneaking peeks at Nyaine's weave when necessary. Soon she finished the weave and tied it off. It was a bit smaller than the original. Perhaps it could support a small coin, if not an entire pen.

Camille's breath came slightly quickly, as if she had just finished a quick jog around the Tower grounds. Channeling was tiring work. But the novice didn't even notice. She beamed at the Accepted, proud of her accomplishment.
> > >

Novice

Postby Daniel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:30 pm

Nyaine
The Accepted gave a nod to Camille to continue after she had described the weave and most importantly identified the act of tying off the weave. Her charge would need some practice expressing her and other’s channelling into words, but that would surely come in time. She watched satisfied as the novice copied her weave quite well, which she had expected. It was a simple one after all and not the focus of this exercise at all. The final tie in the weave, having it remain even without touching saidar, that was what it had been about.

The quickening of Camille’s breathing and her increased perspiration had not escaped Nyaine’s notice, however, and she felt that it was time for a pointed reminder of her initial warning. “Well done. Let me remind you at this point that we will stop any exercise as soon as you feel like you cannot do it or are too exhausted to do it. Knowing one’s limits is as much part of learning to channel as the weaves and techniques themselves.”

That was probably a good bit of advice that Nyaine hadn’t always followed herself, but she figured you had to determine those limits first before you could know them. In this case, confronting Camille with a lot of channelling at a quick pace was definitely part of the program for this examination, apart from going through the motions of testing for the basic and then potentially more advanced techniques.

“Let us continue with another basic exercise”, Nyaine began whilst calling on sweet saidar once more. She quickly wove a small ball of light the colour of red-hot steel. “I am going to send this ball to you, your task is to catch it, take over the flow, then pass it back to me.” It was, as she had said, a basic exercise, yet would require more precision and then of course Nyaine would add more and more of those balls of lights in varied sizes and colours as the exercise progressed. With a flourish of her right hand, she sent the sphere on its way.

Spoiler: show
As mentioned in the last paragraph, Nyaine's going to add more balls to play with. She's going to stop the exercise after about half a dozen failures or so or if it has gone on for a couple minutes. Feel free to include. ;D

Novice
PC: Camille Alvandrin

Postby James » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:56 pm

Camille
"Yes, Accepted Nyaine," Camille said in acknowledgement of the warning. Now that the Accepted had called attention to her fatigue, she felt it pressing on her like a heavy blanket settled around her shoulders. But she hadn't yet reached her limit.

When Nyaine introduced the next exercise, a small pit of worry formed in Camille's stomach. The sisters at the White Tower had taught this exercise too, and she had not been very good. She had not had the time to improve before the White Tower fell. Well, the only way to learn would be to practice, she thought.

The first ball came faster than she anticipated and she fumbled it badly. The next ball came a good bit slower, but she still didn't quite have the technique of "catching" the flow down. She caught the third ball - more out of luck than anything else - but when Nyaine threw her the next ball, Camille tried to handle both flows at once. Instead, she dropped the flows entirely and the balls flickered out of existence.

They practiced for a short time. Eventually Camille managed to catch a few more weaves. They continued until Camille figured out how to "throw" the weave back towards Nyaine. It really was a tricky bit of timing. Then as Camille began to feel the strain, she released saidar.

"I don't think that I can channel any more today," she confessed reluctantly. Though she still longed for the sweetness of saidar, she realized that she needed to stop if she was to have enough energy to last the rest of the day. Even her limbs were beginning to feel a little heavy.

Spoiler: show
[OOC: I feel like this is reaching a good stopping point do you?]
> > >

Novice

Postby Daniel » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Nyaine
“Very well”, Nyaine acknowledged the wish to stop. She had already followed suit in releasing when the glow around Camille had winked out. The novice’s initial struggle with the last exercise had been unexpected, but could to a large degree be ascribed to a lack of concentration with the onset of fatigue, Nyaine surmised. She should have expected that and made the necessary adaptation earlier to begin the exercise at a slower pace. While she expected that the Mistress of Novices would come to a similar conclusion, a remark in her report would probably not go amiss.

“In that case, this concludes our session here today. You have quite done well. This last one is meant to introduce the concept of two women working together without linking.” Nyaine finished scribbling a few more notes on to her paper, then took a sip of the tea, frowning when realising that it had become cold in her cup. “If you have any questions remaining, now would be the time to ask them. Otherwise, I will compile my report and hand it in to the Mistress of Novices later today, so that you shall have your training in the One Power resumed as soon as possible. Finally, lest I forget, welcome to the Grey Tower, Camille.”

Return to “One Power Basics”