Random observations from an RP-oriented reread

For Out of Character (or even In Character) fun and interaction!
Red Head of Ajah Male
PC: Jaryd Kosari
SC: Dakson Torellion
TC: Jesinne Molari
QC: Finn

Random observations from an RP-oriented reread

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:53 pm

So...

I dunno how far I'll actually make it (I usually peter out about halfway through the Great Hunt), but I'm trying to reread the series so I can write Finn better. :dino:

I'm about halfway through the Eye of the World, and I keep making these mental notes to myself...and I decided hey, why not share them? Maybe someone will find them as useful/amusing as I do. :P

So...

1. Healing can be set to work over time. Nynaeve's Wilder Healing works that way, and so does Moiraine's "I'm too tired to do this properly" way. Also, both Nynaeve and Moiraine's "slow" Healing can leave physical scars. This resets my entire perception of how Healing works.
  2. Queen Eldrene could channel, but Moiraine did not say she was an Aes Sedai. King Aemon was clearly bonded to her (she felt him die from leagues away). Thing is, when he died, she went crazy with vengeance. Was this because of the depths of their love, or another inconsistency (such as Traveling) between EotW and the rest of the books, or did HE bond HER? (and if that last is true, was it just a matter of time until he went nuts...?)
  3. I forgot about Moiraine's unwavering faith in the Pattern. Jaryd approves.
  4. Moiraine is a 6.8 or 6.9 on our scale. She cannot attack things while actively riding (as opposed to simply sitting upon) a horse, but she can cause areas of effect (such as fog).
  5. Egwene made a stone flicker without going through all the rigamarole we make people go through in OPB. She simply concentrated and willed it to happen, and it did, and that was (according to Moiraine's very straightforward statement a few sentences earlier) her very first touching of saidar. Moiraine said it usually took women months to get to that point. I might incorporate this approach in future writings of that class.
  6. Related: Even though Egwene had the Spark, Moiraine did not talk to her about being Aes Sedai until Egwene asked about it herself. Surprised not to see more of this in our character bios, to be honest.
  7. This same passage confirms that men can also learn or have the Spark. I honestly couldn't remember a single case of a man who could learn, so I wasn't sure.
  8. The shivering that Rand feels when women channel begins right away, as does his own reaction to channeling. There’s also consistent references to unusual wolf activity. I totally missed these details on my first...however many...reads. :P
  9. Tear hates channelers more than Whitecloaks do. I knew that, but didn't do a particularly good job of showing that with Dax. Whoops.
  10. So...things that happen in Tel'aran'rhiod are real. For instance, if you die there, then you're dead in the real world. So...let's say Ba'alzamon breaks a rat's neck in the World of Dreams and then rats show up with broken backs in the real world the next day. Does that mean rats can access Tel'aran'rhiod? (I think it does, but can’t remember if that’s ever relevant.)
  11. The description of the channeling sickness hitting Rand in Baerlon is fantastic reference material for both the sickness AND Whitecloaks.
  12. Cultural memory runs strong in the Two Rivers- Mat spoke the Old Tongue without ever hearing it. That's pretty damn rad.
  13. An Aes Sedai of Moiraine’s strength (or a Warder of Lan's skill, which is nigh-universally accepted to be "Blademaster who hasn't killed a Blademaster yet") is considered an “even match” for a single Myrddraal. (This is a note from earlier in the book that I just remembered)
  14. It took Moiraine every ounce of strength she had naturally and with the aid of an angreal to make the earth shake a little and then create a wall of fire. When she turned away from that effort she could barely sit her saddle. I definitely have to rework my understanding of strength based on the examples I've seen so far.
  15. Another note from earlier- Moiraine uses both her kiseira and her staff as concentration aids. She is the only Aes Sedai I can think of who does that, and from what I remember she does it consistently, not just in this book. (I'll pay attention and see if that's true.) If it is...I wonder why?
Image Image Image Image
"If there's nothing left I'll have your voice; talking me into sleep, into the void."

Red Head of Ajah Male

Re: Random observations from an RP-oriented reread

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:06 pm

"...I set wards around this building. A Myrddraal would not even know these wards were there, for it is a different kind of evil they are meant to stop, but what resides in Shadar Logoth will not cross them, or even come too near." [...] "He cannot cross the ward lines, nor can any other denizen of this place."

Eeeeenteresting.

So Moiraine can set a ward that will keep Mordeth out...and (by power of deduction) it seems Myrddraal can sense wards designed for them. *taps fingers*

Later: She can also create a ward that will keep Myrddraal and Trollocs away long enough to build a raft. This implies that it is, in fact, a mental effect- "Do not go here" or "you do not want to be here" kind of deal, keyed to specific variables. My guess (going by other things said so far) is that the effective limit is based on her strength, not their willpower.

She has to have some grasp of how to make her own individual wards based on her ability to ward against Mordeth (I have a vague memory of her using a "reverse" ward to fill Lan's clothes with bugs which would seem to support her greater than normal grasp of theory). Anyway...how, specifically, does she do that?

---

If Trollocs are frightened it takes more Myrddraal to force them forward. Also, a fist = roughly 165 Trollocs, and even farmboys can survive melee with them for a few minutes if need be. Methinks even Jordan forgot that they are supposed to be ten feet tall? (His measurements are infamously inaccurate). Judging by the scene in the al'Thor farmhouse, 7-8 feet is probably closer.

I forgot about this! Trollocs are almost as terrified of water as they are of Shadar Logoth. I think Hama Valon is about to acquire a moat. ;)

---

Forgot that Myrddraal can sense channeling. They also travel by sliding through shadows, and have other powers. The things you forget....
Image Image Image Image
"If there's nothing left I'll have your voice; talking me into sleep, into the void."

Red Head of Ajah Male

Postby Marla » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Question for the site in general: Since we have formally declared that all major ter'angreal are back where they belong and that the nations are as they were in EotW, does that mean Mashadar is still in Shadar Logoth and the Waygates are open for business?

Ooooooh man. *rubs hand together*
Image Image Image Image

Novice
PC: Nyaine Lintelle, Novice

Postby Daniel » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 am

Shouldn't the male half being cleansed exclude Shadar Logoth from existing?

Red Head of Ajah Male

Postby Marla » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 am

Not necessarily. We've bent the rules of cause and effect on a number of things to make the environment more welcoming/interesting to play in.
Image Image Image Image

Soldier
PC: Vitale Ahenila

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:39 pm

I am loving reading this. I’m just starting Towers of Midnight in my first full re read in almost 4 years and have discovered/remembered so much!! I’m planning a longer post to discuss the points you’ve brought up so far, but I wanted to jump in real quick to say “hi, awesome!”

Return to “Binky the Wonder Board”